Monday, November 19, 2007

Hoboken to San Francisco: 31 Flavors at 2AM

On a caffeine bender we stayed awake all night in a futile attempt to shift our body clocks. This was one the night when the 24hr Baskin Robins below our place made so much sense.

We finally left Hoboken at 5:45AM and took off in a Delta capsule from JFK at 8:25AM and landed at SFO just before noon. With an all-day layover we finagled a rental car for the day and drove to Napa Valley. Although she hides it well, Amy is a bit of a wino.

Tasting at Pine Ridge Winery

I have no interest in wine so for me this was simply killing time surrounded by a more humane landscape than the airport terminal. My humble highlight of the day was a heavenly tostada at a dive Mexican joint called Rancho Grande outside the town of Napa. Good refried beans are an art of immense complexity. Wines, on the other hand, are all blurred by sameness. Which reminds me, I need to re-up my sub to Frijoles Spectator.

No comments: