Monday, November 19, 2007

Children of the Corn

After a life-affirming swim in Edith Falls we cruised into the town of Katherine to pick up some supplies (read: beer and wine). After shopping we made our way out of Katherine to the Springvale Homestead camp. Making a left onto the long driveway we spotted a couple wallabies. We pulled back into the campsite and could see wallabies scattered throughout the area and bounding away as the van approached.

Everyone went to get things settled in their tents and then slowly reconvened around the wine, beer and cheese in the mess tent. Near the grill, John was locked in a heated battle with some chicken, kangaroo meat and barbecue sauce.

Dining in the Outback

After dinner we sat by the fire and did what you do by fires in the Outback… talked. Periodically we were startled by a flying fox (aka massive bat) in the tree above. Another long day meant heavy eyelids so we made our way to the tent for what turned out to be a long night.

I’m guessing that about two hours into sleep I heard the first thug outside. A little ruffling of the sticks and leaves on the ground followed by a few minutes of silence. Then more ruffling. This went on all night but I was able to get some sleep. Finally the sun burst above the horizon and I turn my head to peak through the mesh wall of the tent. Not even a foot from my nose there was a Wallaby staring right at me. Then another one 10 feet behind him. Probably putting the other up to a dare.

“Psst, take his camera. I dare you. Grab her knickers…. panty raid!”

“Dude..shhh… you are going to get me killed.”

Actually the wallaby looked as startled to find that I was awake as I was to find his bristly snout sniffing me through the tent mesh. He scampered away but I did capture a picture of the one that put him up to it a little further away.

All is well though - the camera was where I left it with no surprise photos of wallaby butt and the Dean of Students eventually made all of the wallabies return everyone’s panties.

The darer

Suspected accomplice

Fireside chat

No comments: